Aspen Hatch Marthaler passed away this year after an incredible and heroic battle with aggressive cancer which started as breast cancer. I never knew Aspen when she was healthy, but considering what an energetic, positive person I knew, I am sure healthy Aspen would have blown my mind! She quickly became one of my best friends. I loved our times getting pedicures, going to dinner, watching you tube videos, swimming and laughing. And even though there were harder times, you helped show me the sacred in the sad. I know your great wish was to walk Banyan to his first day of kindergarten....and while we will not see you there, I know you'll be by his every step.
Michael Schenker has been one of our best friends for 4 years, and we lost him after a short, dramatic battle with aggressive brain cancer. Though he had experienced some serious poo in his life, his testimony was always a benchmark for what I wanted mine to be. There was never a time I asked for his help that he said no. He saved my bacon repeatedly over the years and I am just not as capable a person without him. He was the hero of my charity garage sales, my trunk-or-treats, my primary parades...he always encouraged me and ignored my fears. He teased me relentlessly and I loved every second of it. There isn't a time we get together with friends where the loss of him isn't palpable.
And two days ago we lost Tihoti Goupil. We love Tihoti and oh, how we love his children! Once, Brandon was stuck on the roof. While he was up there, the big, heavy ladder fell and I couldn't lift it on my own. I called Tihoti...after twenty minutes of teasing Brandon and taking pictures with his cell phone camera of Brandon's sorry condition, he got him down. I know the kindest, most helpful, most generous people and he was definitely on that list. We'll miss you Tihoti...



No comments:
Post a Comment