1.02.2012

starting off the new year awkward


We were asked to chaperon the new year's eve stake dance. I was pretty excited- I haven't been to a stake dance since I was a card carrying, jittery teenager myself. I had forgotten a few things about stake dances. Namely...

1.) No one dances at stake dances.
2.) By the end of the night the room smells like B.O.

After an hour of watching the kids awkwardly stand in same-sex groups, shuffling and looking around, Brandon and I decided it was time to get the party started. "Heck!"...we thought..."We're young, stylish. They'll accept us as one of their own." And with that premise, we headed to the middle of the dance floor and started busting some serious dance moves to a Kesha's "blow." Any second,I was sure, they'd join in the riot we were starting.We got to the chorus and were ready to start some serious moves you can usually only find on TV or youtube...when we looked around and noticed that our 30-somethingness had cleared the entire dance floor...

...and none of them were looking at us.

...here I come housecoats and blue hair...

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I feel your pain. Your descriptions are painfully accurate. Kuddos for you even trying! I have been to a couple of youth dances this year and they are officially the most painful thing I have to do associated with the youth in our ward. Boring. . . and BO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHA!!! I love this story. Totally awesome. We are definitely not teenagers anymore:o)

    ReplyDelete